16.7.14

Recovery // Generalised Anxiety FAQ & tips

[source]


As with any mental health problems,anxiety can take on many forms and be as complex as the sufferer. I've read so many inspiring stories on blogs recently that I thought I'd put together some information about my condition.Today I've decided to share my experiences with Generalised Anxiety Disorder (also known as GAD) and tips that I've been using to help keep it under control.Of course,I'm not a mental health professional,but I hope that by sharing my thoughts and advice I might help someone who is also struggling.If you are in any way having problems with your mental health,please visit your GP and/or confide in a trusted family member or friend.

What is Generalised Anxiety Disorder?

According to Anxiety UK,Generalised Anxiety Disorder is where the sufferer feels constantly anxious on a daily basis.Often called "chronic worriers",sufferers can be prone to thinking the worst is going to happen.

In my case,my worries are irrational and blown out of proportion.My mind makes up negative situations using "what if's" to keep me in a constant state of unease and worry.For the most part,my anxiety revolves around the thought that people are going to criticise me or shout at me.Also,being late,lack of sleep and large crowds can worsen my already anxious state.My thoughts often escalate out of control and I lose the ability to reason and make sense of the situation.


What are the symptoms of GAD?

This depends on the individual who may only have one or all of the following symptoms which can be physical and/or psychological.According to the NHS site,some of the symptoms include (but are not limited to);


  •  Irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
  • Sweating and shakiness
  • Dizziness
  • Feeling "on edge"
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Problems sleeping
  • Feeling sick
  • Muscle aches
  • Feeling tense
  • Withdrawl from social contact
  • Taking time of work/school due to stress

How do you manage your anxiety?

I've found it quite helpful to write down the dates and times of when I'm feeling anxious so that I can notice any patterns in my moods and try to make positive changes.For example,I know that catching a train is really hard for me,so I try to make the experience easier by standing by the door and always buying a ticket from the cashier not the machine.Also,if my anxiety is really getting out of hand I often repeat statements like "This is only temporary" and "I've done this before and I was OK" to reassure myself and keep myself focused and safe.Of course,seeking professional help and therapy if you're able to is always a healthy route to go down.

Have you received therapy?

Yes,I attended therapy for 5 months last year for anorexia and anxiety which I found very helpful in helping me figure out why I was using behaviours.I was given Dialectic Behaviour Therapy which is often used to help treat people with self harming behavior and/or people who can't control their emotions.I learnt breathing and other coping techniques that I've used during tough times.

What would you say to someone suffering from GAD (or any type of anxiety) ?

You're most definitely not alone! I know that having mental health problems can make you feel very isolated,but sadly disorders such as anxiety and depression are becoming all too common.I would 100% recommend going to speak to your GP who can provide you with the resources,insight and advice you might need.As great as medical professionals are,it's useful to build up a positive and encouraging support network who will understand if you need to take some "me" time.Don't feel guilty if you need to take some time out,your mental health comes first as it affects everything from your relationships,body and mind.

I've found some useful helplines,guides and tips on everything anxiety

No Panic :- helpline that offers support to those suffering with anxiety,OCD,panic and phobias.
Anxiety UK FAQ :- useful information and statistics on what anxiety is and how it affects the body
Moodjuice  :-Anxiety self help guide to help you identify feelings and symptoms
NHS UK :- information and self assessments from the NHS to help sufferers.

I hope this helps someone who might be suffering with their mental health,and I'd be more than happy to listen to any problems you have.Please feel free to email me over at whimsicalmrsw@outlook.com.


What tips do you have to manage anxiety?














No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from every one of you! I will always respond to every comment asap xo