29.3.14

Recovery // Anxiety affirmations & tips

via Pinterest


Anxiety disorders are unfortunately very common,with 1 in 6 people in the UK experiencing them in their lifetimes.How they affect people varies as much as the people themselves,mental health doesn't discriminate.If you have any concerns about your well-being,please don't hesitate to visit your GP.

There are different types of Anxiety disorder,such as Social Anxiety Disorder,Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Generalised Anxiety disorder to name only a few.I suffer from the latter which means that I worry obsessively about the future and find it hard to make decisions.I also struggle with appointments and using the phone (I hate going to the Doctors!)

Some symptoms of Anxiety can include;
  • a sense of dread
  • shortness of breath / heart palpitations
  • headaches
  • irritability
  • irrational thoughts
  • feeling like you're having a heart attack or "going crazy"
Whenever I feel extremely anxious (e.g important phone calls) I have heart palpitations,my hands shake and my chest becomes very painful.I also find it hard to get my words out and I can jumble sentences up.Everybody experiences symptoms differently though,so there is no right or wrong way.

I know that people telling you to "calm down" definitely doesn't work so I've put together some great tips and affirmations that have helped me in difficult situations.

Affirmations

"Nothing can hurt me right now"

Reassuring yourself that you are safe from harm can really decrease anxious feelings.If you can,try to move yourself to a more comforting environment.

"I accept that I feel anxious and it will pass"

Acknowledge your emotions and realising that it won't last forever can be very comforting.

"I am in control" or "I can do this"

Help yourself to feel powerful.Even when you're feeling scared and anxious,positive statements will help to counteract the anxiety.Also,it can do wonders for your self esteem!

Top tips for Anxiety

  1. Breathe! When you're heart is racing and your mind is running away with you,it's easy to lose control of your breathing.Long and deep breaths can really help keep your symptoms in check and help you to accomplish your tasks.
     2. Feel the room around you.Touching your surroundings can help you focus on the reality and ground      your thoughts in the present.I like to touch the seat that I'm sat on and try to notice what's around me.

     3.Keep a journal.This is why blogging is great! If that's not your thing,keeping a journal where you can write your thoughts and experiences with anxiety can be really help you notice patterns in your behaviour and emotions.
    
      4.Question the worries in your head. Are they irrational or irrational? If you can solve the problem think of ways to achieve this (ask for help if you need to.) If you can't then try to accept that you can't change the outcome.

      5.Get enough sleep.A good nights sleep can go a long way to helping you feel more refreshed,focused and at ease.I know if I don't get enough sleep,my anxiety levels definitely increase.


I really hope that anyone that  is suffering or has suffered with anxiety feels safe in the knowledge that they are not alone! I often experience unpleasant symptoms still,but by managing them effectively I can get through the day a little easier.

Do you have any advice to people experiencing anxiety?







2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I occasionally get hit with bad bouts of anxiety during stressful times and over silly things like before and after dates. I get so nervous so easily and it fills me with dread. I will hold on to these tips. Thanks for writing it :)

    http://confessionalprofessionaldramaqueen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's really easy to get overwhelmed so these tips can be really useful.Take care of yourself.xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from every one of you! I will always respond to every comment asap xo