20.3.14

Sun safety Q&A





We have had some glorious sunshine in the UK,and with that comes the barbecues,beaches and inevitable sunbathing.There's nothing nicer than going for a long stroll in the sunshine,or sitting on one of our lovely beaches basking in the warm rays.There is quite a lot of confusion about skin types and the best products to reduce the risk of skin damage,so I thought I'd put together a little Q&A to help you make the right decision for you and your health.

What's the difference between UVA and UVB rays?

UVA rays penetrate deep into the skin and unprotected exposure can cause premature ageing and potentially skin cancer.

UVB rays are accountable for your Sun burn.They will burn the superficial layer of the skin but the intensity will vary depending on the time of day or season. 10am to 4pm are the times when these rays are likely to do the most damage.


Should I still wear Sun cream if it's cloudy?

Yes! The Sun's rays can still pass through the clouds and will still be able to damage the skin.


What SPF (Sun Protection Factor) should I buy?

It is recommended by the NHS that you use a Sun cream with an minimum SPF of 15.Obviously,the higher the SPF the more protection your skin is receiving.


Can I use Sun cream that I bought last year?

You should always check the expiry date on the bottle and replace it if it's out of date.However,if stored properly Sun cream will remain effective for 2 or 3 years.


What is the most effective way to apply Sun cream?

Generously and regularly. Always make sure to apply Sun cream around 15 minutes before going out in the Sun,to make sure that it's had time to absorb into the skin.You should reapply every 2 hours,or every hour if you are sweating lots.

Other ways to ensure that you're staying safe in the Sun include;


  1. Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. ( Ice lollies are also great for this!)
  2. Wearing sunglasses and using an SPF lip balm to protect the eyes and lips.
  3. Wearing light and loose clothing can help reflect light and reduce the risk of burning.
  4. Always go to the Doctor if you have any concerns regarding your skin.
I always get quite confused over what I should be doing and buying,so I thought this would be a helpful reminder for myself and everyone to enjoy the Sun but make sure we're keeping safe too!

Do you wear Sun cream? What brand would you recommend? 















2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I am also a devout sunblock user. One can't be too careful!
    Hope you enjoy my blog as well! www.divinemzm.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree,it's worth it to protect your skin! I will pop over to your blog now.xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from every one of you! I will always respond to every comment asap xo